Wasperton, a parish in Warwickshire, on the river Avon, 4 miles S by W of Warwick. It has a post office under Warwick; money order and telegraph office, Barford. Acreage, 1653; population, 225. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £129 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Hampton Lucy. The church was formerly a chapel of ease to Hampton Lucy, and has been rebuilt.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wasperton St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Warwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Wasperton:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wasperton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wasperton (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wasperton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.