Wappenbury, a village, a township, and a parish in Warwickshire. The village stands on the river Learn, 3 miles WNW of Marton station on the L. & N.W.R, and 5 ENE of Leamington. Acreage of Wappenbury township, 953; population, 66. The parish includes Eathorpe township, which has a post office under Leamington Spa; money order and telegraph office, Marton. Acreage, 1484; population, 192. The manor belongs to Lord Clifford. Eathorpe Hall is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £54 with residence. Patron, Lord Clifford. The church is Early English, and formerly belonged to the monastery of Sulby in Northamptonshire. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wappenbury St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Warwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Wappenbury:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wappenbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wappenbury (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.