Upper Shuckburgh, Warwickshire
Shuckburgh, Upper, a village and a parish in Warwickshire, 5 miles W of Daventry station on the L. & N.W.R., and 6 E of Southam. Post town, Daventry; money order office, Napton; telegraph office, Stockton. Acreage, 1169; population, 57. The living is a donative united with the vicarage of Upper Shuckburgh in the diocese of Worcester. The manor has been in the possession of the Shuckburgh family since the reign of Henry VI. Shuckburgh Park is a fine mansion, situated in an extensive park. The church stands in the park, and is an ancient edifice, containing many monuments of the Shuckburgh family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Upper Shuckburgh St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Southam|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Upper Shuckburgh:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upper Shuckburgh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shuckburgh, Upper (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Upper Shuckburgh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.