UK Genealogy Archives logo

Sutton under BraiIes, Warwickshire

Historical Description

Sutton-under-BraiIes, a parish in Warwickshire, 5 miles SE of Shipston-on-Stour, and 7 NE by E of Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Post town, Shipston-on-Stour. Acreage, 1175; population, 187. Henry VIII. gave the manor of Sutton Brailes to the Petre family. It passed into the hands of the Van Notten Poles, who are still its possessors. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church has an old Saxon doorway, but the remainder of the building was pulled down and rebuilt in the 12th century, and dedicated to Thomas a Becket. It was restored in 1879. The tower is of 13th century date.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyWarwickshire 
Ecclesiastical parishSutton-Under-Brailes St. Thomas à Bucket 
HundredKington 
Poor Law unionShipston 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Sutton under Brailes:

BaptismsMarriagesBurials
1605-19911605-19921605-1992

Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Sutton under BraiIes from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.