Studley, a village and a parish in Warwickshire. The village stands on the river Arrow, 1 mile W of Studley and Astwood Bank station on the Evesham and Ashchurch branch of the M.R., and 3 miles SSE of Redditch. It manufactures needles and fish-hooks, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) A fair is held on 28 Sept. The parish includes the hamlet of Mapleborough Green, and comprises 4305 acres; population, 2566. Studley Castle is an imposing mansion built in 1834, and stands in an extensive park. A priory was founded in the time of Henry II., went at the dissolution to Sir E. Knightly, and is now a modernized farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £134. The church is chiefly Decorated, but has a Norman and an Early English doorway, and contains some fragments of ancient stained glass and monuments of the 17th and 18th centuries. Also the old stone steps in the N wall leading to the rood screen, discovered in 1888, together with a square stone with lamb and flag carved on it, supposed to have belonged to the Knights Templars, who once held the church. A chapel of ease at Mapleborough Green was erected in 1888. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Roman Catholic chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Studley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Alcester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Studley:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Studley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Studley (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Studley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.