Stretton on the Foss, Warwickshire
Stretton-on-the Foss, a village and a parish in Warwickshire. The village lies on the Fosse Way, 3 miles SW of Shipston-on-Stour, and 4 N of Moreton-in-the-Marsh, and has a station on the Shipston-on-Stour branch of the G.W.R., and a post office under Moreton-in-the-Marsh; money order and telegraph office, Shipston-on-Stour. The parish comprises 2082 acres; population, 366. It contains also the hamlet of Ditchford. The living is a rectory, united with Ditchford, in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £134 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1842.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stretton-On-The-Foss St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Shipston-upon-Stour|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Stretton on Fosse:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stretton on the Foss from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stretton-On-The-Foss (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.