Stretton Baskerville, Warwickshire
Stretton Baskerville, a parish in Warwickshire, 1½ mile WSW of Hinckley, and 4 miles E by S of Nuneaton. Post town, Hinckley. Acreage, 1038; population, 56. It takes its name from Watling Street, which lies on the north, and from the ancient family of Baskerville who held the manor, and was once a place of some importance, but became partly depopulated in the reign of Henry VII., and the village and church went into ruins. The living is a sinecure rectory in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £75. Patron, the Crown. The living is held by the vicar of Burton Hastings, and the inhabitants attend the church of that parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stretton-Baskerville All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Hinckley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stretton Baskerville from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stretton-Baskerville (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.