Stockton, a village and a parish in Warwickshire. The village is 4 miles NW of Marton station on the L. & N.W.R., and 2 NE of Southam. A branch line of the L. & N.W.R. from Leamington to Daventry runs through Stockton, and has a station in the parish opened in 1895. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Rugby. The parish comprises 1391 acres; population, 702. There is a parish council consisting of six members. Stockton House is the chief residence. Blue lias lime is largely manufactured. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £180 with residence. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church belonged originally to the priory of Hereford, and was erected early in the 14th century. The nave and N aisle were rebuilt in 1863, and the S aisle in 1873.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stockton St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Southam|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Stockton:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stockton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stockton (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stockton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.