Snitterfield, a village and a parish in Warwickshire. The village stands 4 miles NNE of Stratford-on-Avon, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stratford-on-Avon, and a library and newsroom. The parish comprises 3912 acres; population, 790. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Ingon Grange and the Wolds are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1882. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The poet Jago was vicar.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Snitterfield St. James|
|Poor Law union||Stratford-upon-Avon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Snitterfield:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Snitterfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Snitterfield (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Snitterfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.