Millbrook, a village and an ecclesiastical parish separated from Maker parish, Cornwall. The village stands on an inlet of the Tamar, 2 miles across the Hamoaze, S of Devonport station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. There are large brick factories in the village. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Devonport. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1869. Population, 2116. The parish council consists of fifteen members, eleven for Millbrook and four for Maker and Kingsand. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; gross value, £210 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe. The church is a handsome modern edifice built of limestone. A battery for the defence of Plymouth Sound has been erected on heights near the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Germans|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Millbrook from the following:
Online maps of Millbrook are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.