Seckington, a parish in Warwickshire, 3 miles N of Polesworth station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4 ENE of Tarn-worth. Post town, Tamworth. Acreage, 848; population, 110. The manor was anciently called Seccandun. A battle was fought here, in 757, between Cnthred and Ethelbald. There are a barrow and remains of an ancient camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £140 with residence. The church is ancient, and has a tower and spire which were rebuilt in 1883.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Seckington All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Tamworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Seckington:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Seckington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Seckington (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Seckington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.