Packwood, a parish in Warwickshire, near the Stratford Canal, 1¼ mile S of Knowle station on the G.W.R., and 4½ miles NNE of Henley-in-Arden. Post town, Hockley Heath, under Birmingham. Acreage, 1760; population, 320. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Packwood House, a fine ancient half-timbered mansion which belonged to the Fetherston family for about 400 years, now belongs to the Aston family. Packwood Hall, an old moated mansion, is now occupied as a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £170 with residence. The church is of Decorated and Perpendicular date, and was restored in 1885. It contains monuments to the Aylesbury and Fetherston families. There is a chapel of ease near Knowle station.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Packwood St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Solihull|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Packwood:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Packwood from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Packwood (St. Giles))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Packwood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.