Oxhill, a village and a parish in Warwickshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Stour, 2½ miles WNW of the boundary with Oxfordshire, 3 ESE of the Fosse Way, 4 SSW of Kineton, and 6 NE of Shipston-on-Stour. Post town, Kineton, under Warwick. The parish comprises 1845 acres; population, 209. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £170 with residence. The church is Norman, with a Perpendicular tower. It was restored in 1865 and 1878, and contains an ancient font, a good chancel screen, and an inscribed slab to Daniel Blackford, a Royalist officer who died in 1681. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Oxhill St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Shipston-upon-Stour|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Oxhill:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oxhill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Oxhill (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Oxhill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.