Newbold upon Avon, Warwickshire
Newbold-upon-Avon, a village, a township, and a parish in Warwickshire. The village stands on the river Avon and the Oxford Canal, 1¼ mile NNW of Rugby, and has a post office under Rugby; money order and telegraph office, Rugby. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Acreage, 1628; population, 723. The parish contains also the townships of Cosford, Little Lawford, and Long Lawford. Acreage, 4344; population, 1567. The manor was long held by the family of Boughton. Limestone of superior quality is largely calcined. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Long Lawford, in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £400 with residence. The church is ancient, was repaired in 1853, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; contains monuments to the Boughtons, and stands on an eminence. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Newbold, and a chapel of ease and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels at Long Lawford.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Newbold-upon-Avon St. Botolph|
|Poor Law union||Rugby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Newbold on Avon:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newbold upon Avon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Newbold-Upon-Avon (St. Botolph))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.