Milverton, a parish in Warwickshire, on the river Avon, 2 miles NNE of Warwick. A portion of it, called New Milverton, was constituted an ecclesiastical parish in 1875, and incorporated in the borough of Leamington in 1890. Old Milverton still remains in the county. Population of New Milverton, 2743; of Old Milverton, 236. There is a station called Warwick (Milverton) on the Leamington, Coventry, and Birmingham branch of the L. & N.W.R., a goods station for Leamington and Warwick on the L. & N.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (T.S.O.) under Leamington Spa. The scenery within the parish and the views commanded from it are very fine. The living of New Milverton is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £310 with residence. The church of St Mark is a massive edifice in the Gothic style. The living of Old Milverton is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £94 with residence. The church of St James (Old Milverton) was rebuilt in 1880. St Saviour's is a chapel of ease to St Mark's,
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Milverton St. James|
|Poor Law union||Warwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Milverton:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Milverton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Milverton (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Milverton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.