Marton, a village and a parish in Warwickshire. The-village stands at the confluence of the rivers Itchin and Learn, three-quarters of a mile S of the Fosse Way, 4½ miles N of Southam, and 7 ENE of Leamington, and has a station on the Rugby and Leamington branch of the L. & N.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Rugby. The parish comprises 1064 acres; population, 380. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £115 with residence. The church is Early English, and was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1871. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Marton St. Esperit|
|Poor Law union||Rugby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Marton:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Marton (St. Esperit))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Marton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.