Mancetter or Mancester, a village, a township, and a parish in Warwickshire. The village stands adjacent to Watling Street, the river Anker, the boundary with Leicestershire, and the Coventry Canal, 1 mile SE of Atherstone; occupies part of the site of the Roman station Manduessedum; and, together with the neighbourhood, has furnished a considerable number and variety of Roman relics. Post town, Atherstone. Acreage of the township, 1582; population, 463. The parish contains also the townships of Atherstone and Hartshill, and the hamlet of Oldbury. Acreage, 3702; population, 7021. Atherstone and Hartshill form separate ecclesiastical parishes. The ecclesiastical parish of Mancetter includes Oldbury; population, 545. The Manor House, Oldbury Hall, Oldbury Chase, Mancetter House, and Mancetter Lodge are the chief residences. At Oldbury are granite quarries. Robert Glover, who lived in the manor house, and Mrs Lewis, who was also a resident in the parish, were martyred during the persecutions in the 16th century. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value. £200 with residence. Patrons, the Church Patronage Society. The church stands on an eminence, within the limits of the ancient Roman station; dates from the middle of the 13th century; consists of nave, N and S aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments to Robert Glover and Mrs Lewis. It was restored in 1876. There are eleven almshouses, from a bequest of £2000. See ATHERSTONE and HARTSHILL.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mancetter St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Atherstone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Mancetter:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mancetter from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mancetter (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Mancetter are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.