Lighthorne, a village and a parish in Warwickshire, The village stands near the Fosse Way, 4 miles N of Kino-ton station on the East and West Junction railway, and 4 SW by S of Southam Road and Harbury on the G.W.R., and has a post office under Warwick; money order and telegraph office, Kineton. The parish comprises 2112 acres; population, 352. The manor and most of the land belong to Lord. Willoughby de Broke. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £400 with residence. Patron, Lord Willoughby de Broke. The church was rebuilt in 1876, with the exception of the tower, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and mortuary chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lighthorne St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Southam|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Lighthorne:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lighthorne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lighthorne (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Lighthorne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.