UK Genealogy Archives logo

St Mawgan in Pydar, Cornwall

Historical Description

Mawgan-in-Pyder, St, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands in a valley on a considerable stream, 2 miles from the coast, 3½ NW by W of St Columb Major, and 5½ from St Columb Road station on the G.W.R., and has a post and money order office, of the name of Mawgan, under St Columb; telegraph office, St Columb. The parish extends to the coast, and comprises 5525 acres; population, 708. The ancient manor house, now a nunnery, is noticed in the article LANHERNE. A cove called Mawgan Porth is at the mouth of the stream which waters Mawgan village, and a romantic little bay called Bodrothan Steps is about a mile to the N. Traces of ancient earthworks are near the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; gross value, £467 with residence. The church is ancient, has been beautifully restored, and contains an old screen and several brasses and monuments to the Arundells. The churchyard contains a very interesting sculptured cross. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Roman Catholic chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCornwall 
HundredPyder 
Poor Law unionSt. Columb Major 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for St Mawgan in Pydar from the following:


Maps

Online maps of St Mawgan in Pydar are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall