Idlicote, a parish in Warwickshire, 2¼ miles NNE of Shipston-on-Stour. Post town, Shipston-on-Stour. Acreage, 1419; population, 62. The manor belonged to the monks of Kenilworth, passed through various hands, and belongs now to the Earl of Macclesfield. Idlieote House, the manor house, is a handsome edifice in the Tudor style, and commands extensive views. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; gross value,, £227 with residence. The church is Norman, and contains a Norman font.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Idlicote St. James|
|Poor Law union||Shipston-upon-Stour|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Idlicote:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Idlicote from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Idlicote (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Idlicote are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.