Honington, a parish in Warwickshire, on the river Stour, 1½ mile N of Shipston-on-Stour, and 5½ miles S of Ettington station on the East and West Junction railway. Post town, Shipston-on-Stour. Acreage, 2474; population, 217. Honington Hall is the seat of the lord of the manor. The living' is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £115 with residence. The church was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, at the end of the 17th century by Sir Henry Parker, Bart., and contains monuments to the Parker and Townsend families.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Honington All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Shipston-upon-Stour|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Honington:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Honington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Honington (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Honington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.