Great Packington, Warwickshire
Packington, Great, a parish in Warwickshire, on th& river Blvthe, 2¼ miles NE of Hampton Junction station on the M.R. and L. & N.W.R., and 2½ NW of Meriden. Post town, Meriden, under Coventry. Acreage, 2568; population, 223. The manor, with Packington Hall, belonged formerly to the Fishers, and belongs now to the Earl of Aylesford. The mansion is in the Italian style, and was built in 1693 and enlarged in 1772. It stands in a large deer-park, containing some good oaks and three large lakes. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Little Packington, in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £420 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Aylesford. The church stands in the park, and was built in 1791 by the fourth Earl of Aylesford in the Italian style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Packington St. James|
|Poor Law union||Meriden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Great Packington:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Packington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Packington, Great (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.