Fenny Compton, Warwickshire
Fenny Compton, a village and a parish in Warwickshire, on the Oxford Canal, with a station on the G.W.K., and another on the E. and W. Junction railway, 6 miles E of Kineton, and 11 SE of Leamington, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Leamington. Acreage, 2163; population, 568. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £420 with residence. Patron, Corpus Christ! College, Oxford. The church belonged to the priory of Kenilworth. It was built in the 14th century, and restored in 1879. It has a clerestoried nave of five bays, some remains of the old rood loft, a piscina and an aumbrey. The north door bears traces of the civil war in the shape of bullet marks. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Aymer, afterwards Bishop of Winchester in the time of Henry III., was rector; and Sir H. B. Dudley was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fenny Compton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Southam|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Fennycompton:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fenny Compton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Compton, Fenny (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Fenny Compton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.