Elmdon, a parish in Warwickshire, near the Birmingham and Warwick Canal, 2 miles N of Solihull, and 6½ SE by E of Birmingham. Post town, Birmingham; money order and telegraph office, Solihull. Acreage, 1134; population, 230. Elmdon Hall is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £152. The church was restored in 1880, and contains monuments to the Spooner family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elmdon St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Solihull|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Elmdon:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elmdon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Elmdon (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Elmdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.