Edgbaston, a parish in Warwickshire, within the municipal and county borough of Birmingham, forming the SW portion of that city. Acreage, 2598; population, 24,436. It contains four ecclesiastical parishes: St Bartholomew (population, 7424), St Augustine (constituted in 1889, population, 4509), St George (constituted in 1852, population, 6292), and St James (constituted in 1852, population, 6211). The livings are all vicarages in the diocese of Worcester. Patron of St Bartholomew, St George, and St James, Lord Calthorpe. Patron of St Augustine, the Bishop of Worcester. Gross value of St Bartholomew, £443 with residence; of St George, o£500; of St James, £344; net value of St Augustine, £600. The church of St Bartholomew was rebuilt in 1810, and enlarged in 1857, and again in 1886. It is an edifice in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and a low embattled tower. St George's Church was erected in 1838, enlarged in 1856, and again in 1884. St James' Church was erected in 1852, and is a cruciform edifice in the Decor- ated style, with a tower and a low spire. St Augustine's Church was erected in 1868, and has a lofty tower and spire. Edgbaston with Horborne forms a ward in the municipal borough of Birmingham. Population, 27,173. Edgbaston forms one of the seven divisions into which the parliamentary borough of Birmingham is divided. It extends into Staffordshire and Worcestershire, and returns one member to the House of Commons. Population, 67,612. See BIRMINGHAM.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Edgbaston St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Kings-Norton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Edgbaston (Copies Only):
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Edgbaston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Edgbaston (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Edgbaston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.