Curdworth, a village and a parish in Warwickshire. The village stands near the river Tame, the Fazeley Canal, 1½ mile N of Water-Orton station on the M.R., and 3 miles NNW of Coleshill, and has a post office under Birmingham; money order office, Minworth; telegraph office, Water Orton. Acreage of civil parish, 1657; population, 292; of ecclesiastical, 758. The ecclesiastical parish includes the two civil parishes of Cudworth and Minworth, which are separated from one another by a spur (½ mile wide) from the parish of Suttoa Coldfield. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; value, £350 with residence. The church is Early English. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and a Congregation;!.! chapel at Minworth. Dunton Hall is now an agricultural training school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Curdworth St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Aston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Curdworth:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Curdworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Curdworth (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Curdworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.