Corley, a parish in Warwickshire, 3½ miles W of Longford and Exhall station on the Coventry and Nuneaton branch of the L. & N.W.R., and 4¼ NW of Coventry. It has a post office under Coventry; money order office, Fil-longley; telegraph office, Arley railway station. Acreage, 1394; population, 274. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £286 with residence. The church has Saxon, Norman, Transition, and Decorated work in it; it formerly belonged to Coventry Priory. There are traces of a Roman encampment and other fortifications.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Meriden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Corley:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Corley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Corley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.