Church Lawford, Warwickshire
Lawford, Church, a village and a parish in Warwickshire, on the river Avon, near the Fosse Way, and 4 miles W by N of Rugby. There is a post and money order office under Rugby; telegraph office, Wolston. Acreage of the civil parish, 1829; population, 244; of the ecclesiastical, with Newnham Regis, 358. The manor and all the land belong to the Duke of Buccleuch. A cutting of the L. & N.W.R. was made by excavation of 500, 000 cubic yards of earth. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Newnham Regis, in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £218 witli residence. Patron, the Duke of Bnccleuch. The church is good, and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a small tower. It originally belonged to a Norman abbey.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Church Lawford St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Rugby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Church Lawford:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Church Lawford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lawford, Church (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Church Lawford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.