Burton Hastings, Warwickshire
Burton-Hastings, a parish in Warwickshire, near Wat-ling Street and Ashby-de-la-Zouch Canal, 2½ miles N of Bulkington station on the Trent Valley section of the G.W.R., and 3½ ESE of Nuneaton. Post town, Nuneaton, which is the telegraph office; money order office, Bulkington. Acreage, 1488; population of the civil parish, 175; of the ecclesiastical, 159. The manor belonged in the time of Edward IV. to William Lord Hastings, and passed by marriage to the Cotton family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £81 with residence. The church formerly belonged to the monastery of Nuneaton, is Early English, and has a low embattled tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Burton-Hastings St. Botolph|
|Poor Law union||Hinckley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Burton Hastings:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burton Hastings from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Burton-Hastings (St. Botolph))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Burton Hastings are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.