Burmington, a parish in Warwickshire, on the river Stour, 2 miles S by E of Shipston-on-Stour. It has a post office under Shipston-on-Stour, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 753; population, 155. The manor belonged in the time of Henry VI. to Sir Humphrey Stafford, and passed to the Strangeways. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £140 with residence. Patron, Merton College, Oxford. The church is ancient.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Burmington St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Shipston-upon-Stour|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Burmington:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burmington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Burmington (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.