Bourton upon Dunsmoor, Warwickshire
Bourton-upon-Dunsmoor, a village and a parish in Warwickshire, on Dunsmoor Heath, near the river Leam, 1 mile SSE of Birdingbury station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5½ miles SW by W of Rugby. The parish includes the hamlet of Draycott, and has a post office, of the name of Bourton, under Rugby; money order and telegraph office, Marton. Acreage, 2144; population, 311. Bourton Hall is a Doric mansion standing in a fine park. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £310 with residence. The church is ancient; it has a tower with spire, and contains a stone font of the 13th century, and a pulpit of 1607. At Draycott there is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bourton-upon-Dunsmoor St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Rugby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bourton upon Dunsmoor from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bourton-upon-Dunsmoor (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.