Birdingbury or Birbury, Warwickshire
Birdingbury or Birbury, a village and a parish in Warwickshire, on the river Learn, 5 miles NE of Southam, and 7 SW by W of Rugby, with a station on the Rugby and Leamington branch of the L. & N.W.R. Post town, Rugby; money order office, Leamington Hastings; telegraph office, Stockton. Acreage, 1063; population, 173. The manor belonged formerly to the Wheelers; it is now the property of the Biddulph family. The Learn is crossed here by a bridge of one arch, erected in 1873. The Warwick and Napton Canal runs about 2 miles S of the village. Birdingbnry is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £90 with residence. The church was enlarged in 1876, and has an apsidal chancel and an octagonal tower, it contains a good oak screen and several stained windows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Birdinbury St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Rugby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Birdingbury:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Birdingbury or Birbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Birdinbury, or Birbury (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.