Binley, a village and a parish in Warwickshire, on the river Sow, 2 miles NW of Brandon station on the L. & N.W.K., and 2¼ E of Coventry. The parish includes the liberty of Earnsford, and has a post office under Coventry, which is the telegraph office; money order office, Stoke Green. Acreage, 1688; population of the civil parish, 180; of the ecclesiastical (which includes the liberty of Combe Fields, formerly extra-parochial), 317. The manor belongs to the Earl of Craven, who is patron of the living, which is a donative in the diocese of Worcester. The church was built in 1772 by the first Earl of Craven, and now contains his tomb. It is a Grecian structure with a medallioned roof. Wagstaffe, the nonjuring bishop, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Binley St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Foleshill|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Binley:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Binley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Binley (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Binley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.