Avon Dassett or Dassett Parva, Warwickshire
Avon-Dassett or Dassett Parva, a village and a parish in Warwickshire, 2 miles SW of Fenny-Compton station on the G.W.R. and East and West .Junction railway, and 5 E of Kineton. It has a post office under Leamington; telegraph office, Fenny-Compton. Acreage, 1435; population, 241. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £410. The church was built in 1868, on the site of the old church, which was pulled down. It contains a curious altar-tomb, with the effigy of a former incumbent in deacon's vestments. There are Roman Catholic and Wesleyan chapels. Bitham House is the chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dasset Avon St. Matthew|
|Poor Law union||Banbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Avon Dassett:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Avon Dassett or Dassett Parva from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dasset, Avon (St. Matthew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.