Atherstone on Stour, Warwickshire
Atherstone-on-Stour, a village and a parish in Warwickshire, on the river Stour, 3 miles S by E of Stratford-on-Avon. It contains the hamlet of Ailstone, and its post town is Stratford-on-Avon. Acreage, 1089; population, 115. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward III., to John de Langley. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £140. The church is ancient, in the Decorated style, and was rebuilt in 1876. Dr Thomas, the editor of Dugdale's " Antiquities of Warwickshire," was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stratford-upon-Avon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Atherstone on Stour:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Atherstone on Stour from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Atherstone-upon-Stour)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Atherstone on Stour are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.