Aston Cantlow or Aston Cantelupe, Warwickshire
Aston-Cantlow or Aston-Cantelupe, a parish in Warwickshire, on the river Aine, near the Birmingham and Stratford Canal, 1½ mile E of Great Aine station on the G.W.R., 4 miles NE of Alcester,and 6 NWof Stratford-on-Avon. The parish includes the hamlets of Newnham, Shel-field, Little Aine, Pathlow, and Wilmcote, the two latter forming a separate ecclesiastical parish. It has a post-office under Birmingham; the money order office is at Henley in Arden, 4 miles N, and the telegraph office at Bearley railway station, 2g- miles SE. Acreage, 4894; population, 945. The manor belonged anciently to the Cantelupes. The right to a market was obtained by one of them in the time of Henry III., but has gone into disuse. The living is avicarage in the diocese of Worcester; value, £83. The church is a stone edifice, dating from the thirteenth century, and has an embattled tower with pinnacles; it contains an ancient font.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aston-Cantlow St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Alcester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Aston Cantlow:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aston Cantlow or Aston Cantelupe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Aston-Cantlow (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.