Allesley, a village and a parish in Warwickshire, 2½ miles NW of Coventry, under which there is a post office; money order and telegraph office, Coventry. Acreage of the parish, 4257; population, 910. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, —£565. The church was originally a chapel belonging to the priory of Coventry; it was restored and enlarged in 1863. There is an endowed school. Allesley Hall, a country seat, is in this parish. At Eastern Green, a little to the SW, which was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1876, is a handsome church with a spire, built in 1875. The living is a vicarage in the gift of the rector of Allesley; net value, £198.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Allesley All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Meriden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Allesley:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Allesley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Allesley, or Awesley (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Allesley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.