Yardley, a parish in Worcestershire, 4 miles E of Birmingham. It has two stations called Stechford (on the L. & N.W.R.) and Acocks Green (on the G.W.R.), is traversed by the Warwick and Birmingham Canal, and has a post and money order office under Birmingham; telegraph office, South Yardley. Acreage, 7590; population of the civil parish, 17,141; of the ecclesiastical, 11,246. The parish includes Acocks Green, Hall Green, Hay Mills, Lea, Sparkhill, and Stechford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £600 with residence. The church is dedicated to St Edburgh, and has a tower and lofty spire. There are churches at Hall Green and Stechford, The ecclesiastical parish of St Cyprian, Hay Hill, was constituted in 1877. Population, 2002. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £150. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The ecclesiastical parish of Christ Church, Yardley Wood, was constituted in 1849. Population, 832. The living is a vicarage; gross value, £183 with residence. There are Wesleyan and Congregational chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Yardley St. Edburgh|
|Poor Law union||Solihull|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Yardley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Yardley (St. Edburgh))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.