Wolverley, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village stands on the river Stour, 2 miles N by W of Kidderminster, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Kidderminster. The parish includes the ecclesiastical district of Cookley and the hamlets of Broadwaters, Little Hoboro, Blakeshall, and the Slade. Acreage, 5543; population of the civil parish, 2600; of the ecclesiastical, 1486. There is a parish council consisting of fifteen members. The grammar school was founded and endowed in 1620, and reconstituted in 1877. A pillar, in memory of the famous Richard Baxter, has been erected on Blakeshall Common. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £292 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is modern. The vicarage of Cookley is a separate benefice.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wolverley St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Kidderminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wolverley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wolverley (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Wolverley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cBlakesall
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.