Wichenford, a parish in Worcestershire, 6 miles NW of Worcester. It has a post and telegraph office under Worcester; money order office, Martley. Acreage, 2866; population of the civil parish, 339; of the ecclesiastical, 334. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Wichenford Court is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £321 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is Early English and Decorated, and was restored in 1863.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wichenford St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Martley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wichenford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wichenford (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Wichenford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.