Welland, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village is 2¾ miles SE of Malvern Wells station on the M.R., and 4 W of Upton-on-Severn. It has a post and money order office under Malvern; telegraph office, Malvern Wells. The parish comprises 1977 acres; population, 851. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Worcester. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £180 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in 1875. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Welland St. James|
|Poor Law union||Upton-upon-Severn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Welland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Welland (St. James))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Welland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.