Upton Snodsbury, Worcestershire
Upton Snodsbury, a village and a parish in Worcestershire. The village is 5½ miles NW of Pershore, and 6 E of Worcester. It has a post office under Worcester; money order office, Sidbury; telegraph office, Spetchley goods station. The parish includes Cowsden hamlet, and comprises 1691 acres; population, 341. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Earl of Coventry. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £60 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church is Early English with a lofty Perpendicular tower. It was badly restored in 1874, and contains a modern chancel screen with a few pieces of old oak tracery inserted. There are 19 acres of church land let in allotments for the benefit of the church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Upton-Snodsbury St. Kenelme|
|Poor Law union||Pershore|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upton Snodsbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Upton-Snodsbury (St. Kenelme))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Upton Snodsbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.