Upton on Severn, Worcestershire
Upton-on-Severn, a small market-town, the head of a poor-law union and petty sessional division, and a parish in Worcestershire. The town stands on the river Severn, 7 miles NNW of Tewkesbury. It has a station on the Tewkesbury and Malvern section of the M.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Worcester. The town comprises several good streets, and was occupied by Cromwell's troops before the battle of Worcester. The bridge over the Severn, built in 1605, was partly broken down by the Royalists in 1651, and was destroyed by a flood in 1852. It was replaced by the present bridge, opened in 1854, the southern arch of which was originally constructed as a drawbridge, but in 1882 was made into a swing bridge. The Severn is navigable liere for vessels of large burden. The town-hall was built in 1832, and has a market-house in the basement. Petty sessions are held at the police station. The workhouse was built in 1836, and enlarged in 1870. There are two banks, a working men's club and institute, and a vinegar manufactory. Markets are held on Thursdays, and there is a monthly sale of cattle. The parish comprises 3211 acres; population, 2260. Ham Court, the Hill, the Boynes, and the Eades are the chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £825 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church was built in 1879 to replace the former edifice, and is in the Geometrical Decorated style. There is a chapel of ease at the Hook. There are Roman Catholic, Baptist, and Wesleyan chapels, and a cemetery.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Upton-upon-Severn St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Upton-upon-Severn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upton on Severn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Upton-Upon-Severn (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.