Tredington, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, on the Fosse Way and the river Stour, 2 miles N of Shipston-on-Stour station on the Shipston branch of the G.W.R., and 4½ S of Ettington station on the East and West Junction railway. There is a post office under Shipston-on-Stour; money order and telegraph office, Shipston-on-Stour. The parish comprises 5347 acres; population of the civil parish, 919; of the ecclesiastical, 494. For parish council purposes it is divided into Tredington and Newbold wards, and has a parish council of eleven members. The civil parish includes also the hamlets of Armscott, Darlingscott, Blackwell, and Newbold. The ecclesiastical parish of Tredington includes also Blackwall and Darlingscott. A monastery was once here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £552 with residence. Patron, Jesus' College, Oxford. The church is ancient. The rectory of Newbold is a separate benefice. There is a chapel of ease at Darlingscott.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tredington St. Gregory|
|Poor Law union||Shipston-upon-Stour|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tredington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tredington (St. Gregory))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Tredington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cArmscott
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.