Suckley, a parish in Worcestershire, 5 miles ESE of Bromyard. It includes Alfrick and Lulsley townships, whieh have been already described, and contains much interesting scenery. It has a station on the Bromyard branch of the G.W.R., and a post office under Worcester; money order office, Knightsford Bridge; telegraph office at the railway station. Acreage, 5179; population, 1195. The living is a rectory, with the chapelries of Alfrick and Lulsley annexed, in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £236 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church was rebuilt in 1879 in the Decorated style, and has a Norman font and a massive tower. There are chapels of ease in Alfrick and Lulsley.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Suckley St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Martley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Suckley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Suckley (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Suckley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cRavenshill
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.