Stone, a parish in Worcestershire, 2 miles ESE of Kidderminster, with a post office under Kidderminster; money order and telegraph office, Kidderminster. It includes the hamlet of Shenstone. Acreage, 2516; population, 568. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Stone House, Dunclent, and Spennell House are chief residences. There is a worsted mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £576 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was erected in 1831, and is in the Decorated style, with a tower and spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stone St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Kidderminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stone (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Stone are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cDunclent
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.