Staunton, a village and a parish in Worcestershire, 6 miles NE of Newent, and 8 NNW of Gloucester. There is a post and telegraph office under Gloucester; money order office, Redmarley. Acreage, 1505; population, 385. There is a parish council of seven members and a chairman. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £284 with residence. The church is Early English, with Decorated and Perpendicular additions, and has a good tower with spire. It was restored in 1860. There is an ancient octagonal font.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Staunton St. James|
|Poor Law union||Newent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Staunton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Staunton (St. James))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.