Stanford on Teme, Worcestershire
Stanford-on-Teme, a parish in Worcestershire, 6 miles SE of Newnham Bridge station on the G.W.R., 8 N of Bromyard, and 8 SW of Stourport. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office, called Stanford Bridge, under Worcester. Acreage, 1272; population, 154. Stanford Court, the ancient seat of the Salweys and afterwards of the Winningtons, was burned down in 1882, but was rebuilt in 1886-88. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £198 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1768 and restored in 1894. It contains an altar tomb of the 14th century of Humphrey Salwey, marshal of the court to Henry VI., and monuments of the Winnington family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stanford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Martley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanford on Teme from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stanford (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Stanford on Teme are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.