Spetchley, a parish in Worcestershire, 3 miles E by S of Worcester. It has a goods station on the Birmingham and Bristol section of the M.R., and a post office under Worcester; money order office, Worcester; telegraph office at the railway station. Acreage, 780; population of the civil parish, 134; of the ecclesiastical, with Warndon, 310. Spetchley Park is the seat of a branch of the Berkeley family. The mansion was built in 1810, and has a Roman Catholic chapel attached. The park is extensive, and contains an avenue of noble elms nearly a mile in length, a fine sheet of water, and herds of red and fallow deer. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Warndon, in the diocese of Worcester; joint gross value, £300. The church is in the Decorated style of architecture, and includes a mortuary chapel with monuments of the Berkeley family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Spetchley All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Pershore|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Spetchley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Spetchley (All Saints))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Spetchley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.