Shrawley, a parish, with a village, in Worcestershire, 5 miles S of Stourport. It has a post office under Stourport; money order and telegraph office, Great Witley. Acreage, 1941; population, 467. There is a parish council consisting of six members. Wood House is the chief residence. The manor belongs to the baronet family of Vernon. Shrawley Wood, nearly 500 acres in extent, is remarkable for having its underwood almost entirely formed of the small-leaved lime tree (Tilia microphylla), which is cut down periodically and sent to the Staffordshire Potteries to be used in the formation of crates. It also abounds in lily-of-the valley, and contains a rare grass and some rare fungi. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £222 with residence. The church stands on an eminence, and is chiefly Early English with some traces of Norman work. It contains monuments of the Cliffe, Piercy, Tolley, Bourne, and Vernon families. Under the E window is an ancient stone coffin-lid which was dug up in the churchyard.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shrawley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Martley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shrawley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shrawley (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The full transcript of the Worcestershire section of the Return of Owners of Land, 1873.
Online maps of Shrawley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Worcestershire papers online:
The Visitation of Worcestershire 1569 is available on the Heraldry page.